I love these as a mid-afternoon snack. Warm, crispy, salty, and flavourful – what’s not to love (oh, and they’re made from super healthy kale)! And, by making your own crispy snack, you can satisfy the craving while still eating very little salt (sodium).
After quite a bit of trial-and-error, I’ve discovered 3 important points for this recipe:
- Make sure that you dry the kale really well. If it’s still wet from the washing water you’ll get limp crisps.
- Tear the kale into even-sized pieces. Otherwise you’ll get some burnt and some limp crisps.
- Keep a very, very close eye on the kale while baking. There’s less than a minute between when it’s still limp and when it’s burnt. I turn on the light in the oven and take a seat in front of the oven door.
|1 TBSP||olive oil|
|0.5 bunch||curly kale|
|seasoning of your choice e.g. curry powder, chili powder, garam masala, or black pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the kale. Dry it very well.
- Remove the kale from its stems. Tear into pieces about 2 inches big. Place in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt and seasoning to the kale. Toss to coat evenly.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes, when the kale has turned from a bright green to an olive green. While baking, shake the kale & rotate the pan several times to ensure even baking.
- Enjoy right away!